Are you struggling with an autoimmune diagnosis and looking for a way to reduce symptoms or slow progression?
Today, autoimmune disease is at an all-time high, especially in women. Many people with autoimmune disease feel like their body has turned against them, are confused about how to manage their symptoms and how to reduce the side effects of conventional medications.
We are here to help.
Naturopathic medicine can be extremely successful when addressing autoimmune conditions. At Spring Integrative Health, our Naturopathic doctors (NDs) offer individualized care by treating the whole person – mind, body, and emotions – and work to identify and address the root causes of disease. Naturopathic doctors use multiple tools to help decrease the body’s overall inflammation which tends to be an underlying theme with autoimmune and chronic health care concerns.
While the medical community is still unsure what causes many autoimmune diseases, at Spring Integrative Health we believe there are a few big factors that contribute to autoimmune disease that are in your control:
- Infections (viral, bacterial, fungal)
- Food intolerance and allergies
- Thyroid and adrenal imbalance
By assessing and managing these factors we see a huge improvement in symptoms related to autoimmune disease. At Spring Integrative Health our goal is to empower you through education so you can take your health back and feel at home in your body!
Common (but not all) autoimmune conditions seen:
- Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Celiac disease
- Sjögren’s syndrome
- Polymyalgia rheumatica
- Interstitial cystitis
Benefits of Naturopathic autoimmune support
- Decreased pain and inflammation
- Better functioning of areas of the body affected by the autoimmune process (for example joints or the thyroid)
- A deeper understanding of your disease process
- Collaboration with your rheumatologist – we work as a team for best clinical outcomes
- Better energy
- Improved mood
- Reduction in side effects from rheumatological medication
- Slowed disease progression
Feeling under the weather, tired, or just burnt out? Dealing with a chronic illness or can’t seem to shake that cold or cough?
Then hydrotherapy, or “Nature’s cure” might be for you.
Hydrotherapy is the use of water for healing. It is simple, gentle, and very effective.
At Spring Integrative Health our favorite hydrotherapy is called Constitutional Hydrotherapy. Done in office, it is a spa-like treatment that involves applying alternating hot and cold towels to the chest and back.
Heat causes dilation of the blood vessels and lymphatics, increasing blood and lymph flow. Cold causes the constriction of blood and lymphatic vessels. Alternating hot and cold instigates a gentle pumping action that encourages the movement of immune cells and blood flow. Blood is the great nourisher in our bodies; it carries nutrients, oxygen, immune cells, inflammatory molecules, and cellular waste, just to name a few things. When we can improve blood flow, we impact its delivery of all of these beneficial things to the cells that make up our internal organs, our skin, our muscles, and the immune system.
Patients leave a Constitutional Hydrotherapy treatment feeling refreshed, relaxed, and centered.
Constitutional Hydrotherapy is indicated in many different types of ailments such as:
- Sniffles—at the onset, throughout the course, and during recovery
- Chronic fatigue and burnout
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Menstrual problems
Constitutional Hhydrotherapy is often applied in a series, and some patients will see results more clearly when they have more than one treatment. For this reason, at Spring Integrative Health we offer packages for Cconstitutional Hhydrotherapy sessions , and suggest scheduling one or two treatments per week.
Cheers to your health!
Detox is one of those words we hear a lot, but what does it actually mean?
Detox (short for detoxification) is the body’s natural ability to rid toxins from the system. Toxins may include environmental toxins like pesticides and fertilizers, synthetic body care products, processed foods, building materials, and your own cellular waste.
Detoxification is the art and science of increasing cell metabolism (aka taking out the trash) and liver functioning. The liver is a key player in the detox process. While we can depend on the liver to take on the burden of filtering out our toxic load and keep our body running well, there are many things that inhibit the liver’s function, or that help the liver’s function. A healthy detox can support the liver and limit the stress of the process when the body is exposed to increased toxins.
- Feeling lighter, brighter, more energized
- Better digestion
- Less colds and flus
- Balanced hormones
- Improved mood
- Glowing skin
At Spring Integrative Health our Naturopathic doctors and Nutrition specialists can give you a personalized detoxification program. We will break down the science of what happens in your body during a detox, and help you walk through it with peace of mind.
Here are our top 5 tips to overall liver support and detox:
- Elimination: A huge part of your health is based on your bodies ability to eliminate efficiently. If you experience constipation or diarrhea, or both, that is a sign that your body needs support with detoxification.
- Hydration: Your body is 70% water, so just simply staying hydrated can be a game-changer. Water helps to flush toxins and supports the livers overall detox process.
- Exercise: Movement is essential each day to keep your body detoxing. Movement helps circulate the lymphatic fluid through your body and cleans the lymph system more efficiently.
- Eat green food: The darker in green color, the better for your liver. Bitter leafy greens are known to be key in liver detox. Sneaking greens into your smoothies, or having a green drink a few times each week has great benefits for your liver.
- Remove toxic foods from your diet If you are eating processed foods, or foods with long ingredient lists it’s likely that you are being exposed to chemicals, additives, and toxins. Ingredients to watch out for include hydrogenated oils, refined sugar, convenience foods and lunch meats filled with nitrates and nitrites. Most convenience foods, fast foods, and lunch meats have these problematic ingredients.